12:30pm - 1:30pm
Daniel Robinson, University at Buffalo Music Graduate Student Association President
Discussing Music/Musical Discussions
1:30pm - 3:00pm
David Clem, Chair
- "Schoenbergian Analysis and Beethoven Scholarship: Composer as Commentator"
Tamika Sterrs, University of Georgia
- "Confronting Method and Material in Musical Historiography"
Andrew Burgard, New York University
- "A Reading of Silence: Anarchy and Zen Buddhism in John Cage's Lecture on the Weather"
Yuji Sota, University at Buffalo
Analysis and Interpretation
4:00pm - 6:00pm
Daniel Wu, Chair
- "Semiotics and Story: A Narrative Reading of the First Movement from Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No. 2, op. 16"
Joel Mott, University of Texas at Austin
- "The process of 'becoming' in Roger Redgate's 'Genoi Hoios Essi'"
Stuart Paul Duncan, Cornell University
- "Classifications and Designations of Metric Modulation in the Music of Elliott Carter"
Jason Hobert, University of Southern Mississippi
- "Transformation in 'Asie' from Maurice Ravel's Sheherazade"
Aaron Grant, Pennsylvania State University
Registration and Breakfast
9:00am - 10:00am
10:30am - 12:00pm
Sarah Louden, Chair
- "An Analysis and Interpretation of Musical and Visual Structures in Stan Brakhage's I...dreaming"
Christopher Lynch, University at Buffalo
- "Of Sound and Light Beyond Narratology: The Performance in Contemporary Mainstream Cinema"
Mark Durrand, University at Buffalo
- "Scelsi's Imaginary Folksongs"
Tyler Cassidy-Heacock, Eastman School of Music
12:00pm - 1:30pm
"The Amateur in the Age of Mechanical Music"
Professor Mark Katz, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
3:30pm - 5:00pm
Rodney Garrison, Chair
- "The Concert for Ancient Music Series and the Development of an English National Identity"
Jacinta A. Meyers, University at Buffalo
- "Screaming Women, Singing Men: Images of Prophecy and Femininity in Rolande Lassus' Prophetiae Sibyllarum"
Melody Marchman, University at Buffalo
- "Prussia's Pathetique: Historical and Political Influences on the First Movement of Beethoven's Op. 13 Piano Sonata"
Edward Knoeckel, University of Southern Florida